Saturday, April 11, 2020

gallery response

Joshua WIlson 

Gallery response 
Before I even saw this gallery I've seen The artist at a hair event that actually took place at NJCU. She gave her backstory of her artwork and how she uses hair to make her hair and black hair at that because of the story that comes with our hair and the history. She went through the process  of how the hair is collected whether it be at a barber shop or a more intimate setting in collecting hair for women that she knows or wants to donate for her art . The whole process is an intimate one because she as black american and someone with locs she understands that cutting our hair or even losing it to be collected isn't something we care to display especially if it will be one. At the event she went over the process of how she creates her artwork and what it means. She showed different pieces of her workI am still dreadful ,untitled 15 ,uprooted and dada.  They all spoke to me seeing the originality of making hair into art; it's something I can say I've never seen before. 
   When I first saw this piece even before reading the description it spoke to me. Not only was this larger than life reaching from the floor to the roof When seeing this my mind didn't just see a line of locs but it was generation after generation the continuous line of hair made especially different lengths to me showed how some generations last longer than others but its all still important because of what knowledge is passed through each time.  Even before the artist explaining the history of locs in western society I had previous knowledge of what locs were to this society and to have the title of the art be called dada and that having double meaning from western culture to mean questionable art such as this and the african meaning of what locs are and what they mean to that culture blends so well to me its a powerful piece that added to the experience of going to the gallery more than just seeing the norm of what art is.


No comments:

Post a Comment