Monday, April 13, 2020

Deborah Derozin 
Gallery Response 
Both,  Ibou Ndoye's Neighbors Near and Far and Adebunmi Gbadebo's Uprooted Galleries were very impressing. Although, I did not get a chance to make it to Gbadebo’s presentation I had a chance to meet her at an event, and also visit the gallery myself. Ibou’s gallery took me on a self reflecting story because it reminds me of my voyage to America and my experience with culture shock. A lot of his work as he explained was hands on, and I find it very fascinating that his muse was through his own experience. He explained, one of the pieces which was a book design over years, as a continuing piece because he would take it everywhere he travels and would complete it little by little. Ibou arts captured a lot of different expressions, and emotions. In one of his pieces, two people were posing the same way but the difference in expression and choice of clothes speaks a lot of volume. His art to me was very impowering and full of culture and soul. His work play with the color and form improvisations that are distinctive of African architect. Combining his painting skills with installation work, he comments on political and environmental affairs. A lot of his wok as he explained resonated with his own personal experience with living in Africa, and his life in the U.S. 
Meeting Gbadebo was a great experience, she is very down to earth. Her work inspired me and I had a chance to personally chat with her after the event. We talked about her locs journey and she we talked about her experience through the process and how much patient it has taught her. People like her are the contributions to the way black women are loving their har. For so many years we been lied to about how unprofessional black hair is, her work is a great representation for black girl growing up in the world. Interestingly enough, I found out that we were called the same nickname as a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment