Thursday, April 23, 2020



Anthony Vinci


Professor Cacoilo


ART 263


22 April 2020


Final Project






The first and main part of my project is a zine. This zine is for my band Dignitary, a local hardcore trio. This zine is called “Why is Dignitary” a play off of the typical who is, the reason being because I want it to be more about why we want to do what we do rather than who we are. I know that this choice of words is not grammatically correct but really that is beside the point. The contents of this zine are extremely simple, within it is a brief rundown of each member of the band alongside a photo of us. After this comes the song lyrics. The activism comes to play with the lyrics, this is where to express is. Below this will be a photo of each of the pages, although this will not be exactly how they appear in the copies that will be handed out. An example of the changes to come, there will be more songs along with their lyrics, as they are currently in the writing process and I would rather not rush the lyrics.















The second part of my project is something that will be given away in a little bag along with the zine. This is a single panel comic strip. Everything that is displayed in the comic will be some kind of indicator of what it means but many people may not see it to have the same story as I wrote it out to be. The name of this little panel is “Uncle Barry’s Ute”. This name goes hand in hand with the song written by me of the same name although this is a song still in the process so the lyrics aren’t available yet. I kept this comic down to a single panel because I wanted the story told not to be for everyone, just like how hardcore music is not for everyone but also I wanted it to have different paths of thought. For sake of understanding where I am coming from with this I will briefly explain the story of the song/comic panel. It goes by the name uncle barry for a reason, this is the biggest indicator. The song is in the perspective of the nephew and this is why uncle barry seems like the big manly heroic figure. The wife on the other hand has a negative portrayal, as that is the type of perception he is influenced to have by his uncle. The rest of the story can be followed when the song comes out.








I have many inspirations for why I want to do what I am trying to do. Some of them I do not so much agree with anymore or even like anymore but the inspiration still pushed me to learn more, and it is always okay not to agree with people. One of my big inspirations is Henry Rollins, he was a singer of the legendary band Black Flag but with this aside he didn’t start from anywhere. He was just doing what I did working and trying his best and doing something without being particularly skilled. He also has many values that I agree with and some of the words out of his mouth have been almost lessons to me. Another two inspirations for me go together completely and these two are Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. These two are part of Gorillaz, Damon music wise and art wise Jamie. Where they are tied in with activism can be shown with one of their songs that was released the night before Trump’s inauguration and this song is called “Hallelujah Money”. Some other inspirations just to list are Joan Jett and Debby Harry. Both of which have an immense history of activism and I have actually been lucky enough to have seen Debby perform in my lifetime at an unexpected show while I was away on a trip.




(This is all that is written as for my written part I want to relate to activism in the discussion)











Sources:


https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/10/debbie-harry-demands-you-stop-fing-the-planet-as-she-protests-climate-change-11617162/


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCwUBpz-fM


https://ew.com/music/2017/01/19/gorillaz-hallelujah-money-inauguration/


https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/joan-jett-bad-reputation-shows-how-jett-defied-sexism-determined-ncna914801


https://www.biography.com/musician/joan-jett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldm8mnn-ULI

No comments:

Post a Comment