Monday, April 20, 2020

Final Project - Suicide Prevention

                                                          Suicide Prevention
  Today people have expectations from everyone. Civilians need to follow the norms that the society has made for us. When breaking the norms or laws individuals can be punishment. I did my project on suicide prevention. “Suicide is the act of taking one’s own life” (Suicide Definition). Suicide is the 10th leading cause in the US. People all over want to find a nice, safe place for their family to settle in that is without crime. Human beings might run away crimes such as theft, murder, kidnapping, drug use or selling, but they will not run from suicide. “Suicide is a human issue” (TedTalk). Many people take suicide for granted. In many cases, the individual that has suicidal thoughts will not ask for help. There might even appear like nothing is troubling them. They might seem happy, excited about their future. On the other hand, some might tell a friend when and how he or she will commit suicide. Many people laugh and believe they just seek attention. But what if one friend came up to you and told you everything. What would you do? Would you believe?
     I did this project because I lost my sister. Having to be a family member when someone committed suicide is hard. Two years ago, I received a call from my other sister. I was currently driving home at night, but I picked up and she was crying. My sister told me that she needs to share something with me when I get home. I was afraid so I lied and told her I was home. She then told me that my sister jumped in front of a train. I was shocked and I couldn’t believe it. Her name was Miska. Miska never showed any suicidal thoughts. She never used drugs or alcohol. At the time, she was in Slovakia and I was here. A few months back (before she took her life) she was planning a nursery because she found out she was pregnant with her boyfriend. A week later, she calls and tells me she had a miscarriage and her boyfriend is having a baby with another woman. Miska was very upset, but after a while, she became happy again. On January 16th she took her own life. This day will haunt me forever. I still don’t believe that I will never see her. I will never get a response back or laugh with her. Because of this horrible experience, I don’t ever wish anyone this.
MISKA


FUNERAL



The Blonde is her






















“Suicide was the second leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 10 and 34, and the fourth leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 35 and 54. There were more than twice as many suicides (47,173) in the United States as there were homicides (19,510)”(Suicide Statistics). 


     When I started to do this project, I thought about creating a poster and Instagram. I did not create a poster, but fliers. I believe creating fliers with my name, picture and my number was better. On the flier I added description of problems that causes suicide and the statistics of suicide. On the flier, I encouraged people that are struggling to take certain steps to make themselves better. I will be sending the flier to only the addresses that I know. If you are interested, please give me your address. Moreover, I created Instagram page for the victims of suicide and their families. I did not only focus on the people that are struggling, but as well as their families. The families can share stories on this page and all the people can see it. I am already helping some of my friends that are struggling with life. Also, two strangers texted me and shared their stories. I will not name them, but I asked them if it was alright with them if I mention few facts. One of the girls was only 16 years old. She had an older boyfriend and was pregnant with him. Her boyfriend wanted her to have abortion. She was overwhelmed and wanted to take her own life. She trusted me and I felt like I was making a change. I wanted to meet up with her, but she lives 3 hours away from New Jersey. I believe talking to someone about what is happening and getting advice is very important. Life can and is very hard for everyone and it all depends on how people react to it. On top of my Instagram page (@pre_ventionsuicide) I also put my personal phone number, so I can reach out to people that need help.


 


   Some causes of suicide: “Incarceration, poor job security or low levels of job satisfaction, history of being abused or witnessing continuous abuse, being diagnosed with a serious medical condition, such as cancer or HIV, being socially isolated or a victim of bullying or harassment, substance use disorder, childhood abuse or trauma, family history of suicide, previous suicide attempts, having a chronic disease, social loss, such as the loss of a significant relationship, loss of a job, access to lethal means, including firearms and drugs, being exposed to suicide, difficulty seeking help or support, lack of access to mental health or substance use treatment, and following belief systems that accept suicide as a solution to personal problems”(Suicidal Treatment). Some of the warnings of a suicidal person are threats or comments about killing themselves, social withdrawal from friends, family and community, increased alcohol and drug use, aggressive behavior, impulsive or reckless behavior, dramatic mood swings, and writing about death (Suicide Warnings).


     I believe that with this project I can help many people. I am already helping some. I can be the change. I believe that there many steps that an individual need to take to get help. The most important step is to “choose to survive”. Willing to fight through problems is very important. People can’t give up because something bad happened to them. Second, “feel the feeling” the person needs to stand up to their feelings. The feeling should not control that individual, but the individual should control her or his feelings. Third, “stay connected” some need to talk to friends or family, to a stranger, or even pray. Fourth, “Be the new you” fight through all problems. Never give up. Lastly, “share your experience” I believe sharing personal experience helps with the issue. Also, speaking to people about problems can help them become stronger. My goal is to decrease the rate of suicide. I believe creating an Instagram page can not only help citizens in the United States but all over the world. I chose Instagram because today mostly everyone is using this app.


Picture of my Instagram: @pre_vetionsuicide






















Pictures of the flier: 
 
    

 Overall, this project is ongoing. I was inspired by this class to create something wonderful. I will create change. I know that I will not stop suicide 100 percent, but I can bring it down. Of course, I will need all the people that I can get. If you ever need help or know someone please let them reach out to me. We can beat the problems or fears that the individuals have. Together we can help many people. Together we will not give up. We will stand together as one and we will smile again. Today, we face corona virus. Many people are dying that we care about. That is horrible and very stressful. If anyone is feeling stressed out just call me.  Two minister and politicians in Europe committed suicide because of corona virus. Please contact me if you are feeling overwhelmed. 

Quotes from class:

1. “Illness is the night side of life, a more onerous citizenship. Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and in the kingdom of the sick. Although we all prefer to use the good passport, sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place.”-- Susan Sontag
- This quote spoke to me and it was an inspiration for my project. I believe we are born happy. We have no stress, no worries. Later in life things happen that each of us deal with differently. We try to hard the worry and put a mask on. We prefer the "good passport" as Susan said but sooner or later problems will occur. It depends on us if we can deal with it and if not if we can get help. 
2. "Men have a disproportionate amount of power and are in control of all the decisions that are made. They monopolize the positions and systems including, political, economic, religious, and cultural. Hooks explains how most men have never even said or thought the word “patriarchy”. Bell Hooks
- I chose this quote because many women commit suicide because they don't have power. They work so hard to reach their goal, to have better income but men always are the first in line. A women can work hard and sometimes won't get what she wants. Also, the artist mention that her father would beat her if she wanted to play with her brother and do the same as him. I believe that patriarchy is important to my topic. Men believe that they have all the power in the world. I believe this connect to domestic violence. I believe that women and children may commit suicide in future because they don't see a way out. They can't leave the toxic relationship because they might be scared. And their only way out to to end their lives. 



True Story:https://www.faceofmalawi.com/2019/12/15-year-old-girl-writes-a-heartbreaking-suicide-note-to-her-mother-before-killing-herself-read-it/

"I tried my best to pull through, but my best was not good enough. I battled alone for about thirteen months now until my strength failed me."


"Mum, your brother raped me and used me as sex toy for three whole years. I expected you or dad to notice but none of you did."


Quotes from online:


“Place your hand over your heart, can you feel it? That is called purpose. You’re alive for a reason so don’t ever give up.” – Unknown


“The person who completes suicide, dies once. Those left behind die a thousand deaths, trying to relive those terrible moments and understand … Why?” – Clark (2001)


“Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”


Follow me on Instagram @pre_ventionsuicide


Also, my artists that I included in my project are:

1. Song: "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M.: This 1992 song was written with a teenage audience in mind, although its lyrics speak directly to anyone who is suffering. It tries to impress upon those who are depressed and contemplating suicide that they are not alone. Everyone hurts. Take comfort in your friends and hang on.


2. Poem: Poem: Why Dad Did You Choose Suicide? By Christina M. Butz Why Dad?

Why did you chose to die?
You left no note but left me asking why.
You thought you were doing what was best and right.
Why, oh why, did you have to end the fight?
Your pain is something I will never understand.
You must have been so afraid to take this stand.
You left me with a title I am sad to attain:
Suicide Survivor, but who should I blame?
I know your decision was painful to make.
The thoughts in your head
Must have been unbearable to take.
Now that you're gone, I think of you a lot.
You couldn't have known the suffering this has brought.
I pray you are at peace my angel, but I am in pain.
I count the minutes to heaven and seeing you again

I chose this poem because it connects to my project and it is personal. This artist has lost her dad and she will never understand why. Why did he give up? Why do people give up so easily?


3. Painting: Le Suicidé; by Édouard Manet: This painting is very beautiful. In this painting a man committed suicide by shooting himself.




4. Book: Guerilla girl – poster (which I will be doing)- I am complaining about how many people are committing suicide.


5. Artist: Justis Daniels- he goes to schools and gets teenagers together talk about suicide and if they have any of their own problems.





6. Song: Joyner Lucas- I’m sorry: This song is speechless. It talks about how the person wanted to kill himself since he was only 9 years old. After a while he shot himself and didn’t care about his family. He was being selfish.


7. TV-show/Movies-"there is so much pain" | sad multifandom-depression- This is overall how people feel and act when they are depressed and want to commit suicide.


8. Ted Talk- Shattering the Silence: Youth Suicide Prevention | Sadie Penn | TEDxYouth@Lancaster – Sadie wanted to take her own life away. She thought about talking to her family, but something told her not to because she would be a burden on them. This ted talk was very powerful.









Reference:


My Instagram page- @pre_ventionsuicide


My number- 908-644-6810


My video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GuOCaHsLE


Suicide. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/suicide


Suicide and suicidal thoughts. (2018, October 18). Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/suicide/symptoms-causes/syc-20378048


Suicide. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/suicide.shtml


https://www.healthline.com/health/suicide-and-suicidal-behavior#suicidal-signs


Butz, C. M. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved from https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/why-dad-why


Daniels-Bezout, J. (2017, July 19). How One Teen Began the Suicide Prevention Revolution at His School. Retrieved from https://www.crisistextline.org/blog/seesay


https://riverstonehealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/surviror_packet.pdf


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOiW_xY-kc&feature=emb_title


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA0Mz3_uc28


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo5Db_7yVI


No comments:

Post a Comment