Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Midterm Proposal

Racism Brought by Covid-19
As the new year progressed the nation has fallen to a pandemic state because of Covid-19. Covid-19 or the coronavirus came about on December 31 and it was only seen as pneumonia cases but that soon took a turn for the worst. On January 11, China declared it’s first death from the new virus that appeared and has infected more than dozen of people. From what we know and hear from the news the whole nation is in a pandemic state and what is worse is the racism that comes along with it. The fear that this virus has brought is people starting to become disrespectful to asian americans who have no fault because of the comeabout of this virus. 
From experience I have many asian american friends and the stories they will tell me is that whether they are on the bus, walking on the street or in a supermarket people will try to avoid them and give them looks. They are so fearful because what is happening they place the blame on Asians and start to victimize them and treat them with no respect whatsoever. This upsets me in so many ways because I have never liked anyone to be disrespected including people who I know and are in my life. Disrespect, intolerance, blaming people it is no one’s fault; yes it is understandable for people to be scared because of what is going on but do not tend to do negativity in this world. It has gotten to the point that fear itself is getting driven by the people and in NYC an asian man was singled out for wearing a mask.
Well isn't the whole country wearing masks now? It is the new norm because it is like a security blanket for many people and that it is understandable. But to single out only one person because he is asian is very disrespectful. There are millions of people wearing the masks to prevent getting the virus whether the person is white, african american, hispanic, asian or any different nationality everyone is wearing them. So why are many citizens only victimizing one group exactly and not trying to be understandable about the situation at hand? Whoever it is you guys are worried about the people because of where it originated then being worried about just taking yourself, practicing on personal hygiene and social distancing.  
For my project proposal I want to create a hotline in order to help people who feel discriminated against, feel hurt and just need an ear to lend. At first I wanted to create a web group, how we do our online classes but that wouldn't work because many wouldn't like to show their faces. I have always felt that people are more comfortable talking to strangers than people they know because they do not want to feel judged by talking to people who are in their lives. To me that is understandable because everytime I had a problem I never talked to my family or friends; only to someone random who I would never see again because it almost feels like voicing a confession to the wind and it takes it away with it. 
How I would set this up is use all my media platforms as a way to connect to the world and even go as far as using tik tok as a platform. I feel like this is a smart idea because there is a hashtag there and the person who made a video gets tons or thousands of views. I will use it to spread awareness and either talk live to people there or they can call me through a hotline that I will personally help establish on my own. I know it isn’t anything huge but as a psychology major my future job is to hear people, actually listen to them and try to give them the best possible advice there is. 
Resources 

No comments:

Post a Comment