Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Neighbors Near and Far & Uprooted

Luis Candelaria
Acts of Resistance


“Neighbors Near and Far & Uprooted”
Ibou Ndoye’s exhibition Neighbors Near and Far and Adebunmi Gbadebo’s Uprooted exhibition both share a common ideal of remembrance and historical values. However, Ndoye’s focus is more on the citizens on both his homeland in Senegal and in Jersey City, while Gbadebo’s focus is based on the core DNA and roots of the people of the African diaspora. Ndoye’s glass paintings seem to have a sort of acrylic and chalky type of texture to them, assuming that they are made of different materials to give them a distinctive feeling. Gbadebo’s works are mostly locks of human hair from said people with additional material such as silk screen and artificial breeds placed into it. Ndoye’s works symbolized the neighbors and world from both of his homes. By using childhood memories and occasional round-trips to both of his homeland, he visualized and noticed the residence having fun, playing games, performing and even sharing their gifts to others. He also used some of his relatives as inspiration for some of the works. When I look at them, I conclude that they would represent everyday lifestyle of cultural embracement. I can imagine the natives in Africa sharing their food with newcomers, playing the flute and helping each other. Most of the paintings have a cloth-like pattern, with different fabrications and patterns used for the backgrounds. Even the citizens’ shirts have a vibrant series of patterns in them. I can feel the meaning of freedom, working together, love and harmony all around the works, which is what I wish to share in my own works.

Gbadebo’s work was more on a collective, upbringing direction as she wanted to express the desire for freedom and defense with her work. Her works addressed discrimination, hardships her ancestors faced and connecting said hardships to modern society. One of her works “Dada”, was an expression on an art movement of the same name for those who choose not to use traditional art methods and instead invoke other techniques such as inserting locs. The name came from a Nigerian child with uncombable hair whose name was used for a gifted child with unimaginable capabilities. From a narrative perspective, these hairs do give me that sense of desire for freedom, but it also leaves me with wonder. Wonder on more events based on said people. Wonders on finding a way to turn back time to get a glimpse and perspective on their experiences. In terms of using both works to speak to an activist, I would explain how they address both identity and activism by using Ndyoe’s subjects in his paintings and the direction Gbadebo’s hairs are displayed as primarily examples. Both works showcase both the past and present of African culture and the desire to have a bright future. Ndoye’s paintings of the citizens show that we can get along in harmony by working together and giving a helping hand. His family, ancestors and neighbors expressed the virtues of giving, having fun and peace. Gbadebo’s hairs depict the struggles and desires of gaining freedom and independence.  As a self-proclaimed fighter, she wanted to share the focus on change and upbringing equality for all with the use of actual DNA from her past. These works gave me a new perspective and wonder on African culture. I want to get a better understanding and feeling of their works by traveling to Africa or getting to hold onto their artifacts. It would give me a glimpse of entering into another world that differentiates from the world I live in and may also be an outlet for me to reflect on my own pasts’ hardships.











This is a portrait painting that I developed entitled "Worlds of Music", featuring a caricatured version of me playing bongos. As an American-born Puerto Rican to two Puerto Rican parents, I have zero to no direct knowledge of my culture's history. Most of what I learned are from stories my mother tells me and research I digged up online. I never get to truly experience the lifestyle and livelihood of my own family. Despite this, I'm proud of their contributions, their general likes and their way of thinking. I enjoy the cuisine, the music and even seeing photos of the country. It makes me wish that I would take a vacation in San Juan. I may be embedded with red, white and blue but we have the same colors in both the great USA and the humble abode of Puerto Rico.

No comments:

Post a Comment