Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Against the Status Quo Artist

The way I define Patriarchy is that is a system of social control where most things are seen as black and white, clearly divided. The men are in power following what men “should do” while the women play a more submissive role, constantly being pushed down the social ladder, less freedom and no say. 

The artist I decided to pick that goes against the status quo and has a constant theme of rebellion and is opening the minds of people with her music is the music artist Halsey (aka Ashley). In her recent song called “Nightmare”, she dives deeper into the topics of being a woman in today’s society, the patriarchal system/society, being pro-choice, challenging gender norms/fashion and being able to express one’s self as a woman freely where we shouldn't fear to get cat called or be taken advantage of because we are "fragile". The mood of the song and even the beat really pushes the lyrics and the theme of topics that she is trying to push and bring awareness through all within her song writing. She encourages women to protest, fight for their rights and to stand up against political figures despite how powerful they may seem.

Some lyrics in her song that stood out to me the most are:

"Come on, little lady, give us a smile
No, I ain't got nothin' to smile about
I got no one to smile for, I waited a while for
A moment to say I don't owe you a goddamn thing"

"I've been polite, but won't be caught dead
Lettin' a man tell me what I should do in my bed"

Linked is her music video for the song being as it also has some amazing visuals



No comments:

Post a Comment