Saturday, February 1, 2020

Blog Entry #1 - Intro



Raven Dickson

Prof. Cacoilo

Acts of Resistance

31, January 2020


My name is Raven Dickson. The role I have in the consumption of media is at large, especially with how heavily it has impacted me and our society overall for the last two decades. It’s a driving force for me to be able to learn new information and enjoy my interests. The social media platforms that I’m most familiar with are Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Tumblr, YouTube, and Facebook. In using these apps, I seek inspiration, guidance, news, commentary, original content, networking, entertainment, ways of contact and expression. For example, I watch a lot of commentary and trivia related videos on YouTube because I Iove to be enlightened of new information for topics I’m familiar with or unfamiliar with, from diverse perspectives. My small contribution to creating media has been in forms of multimedia such as photography, videography, and commentary every so often. Although the access we have to media is beneficial it can be toxic and draining at times, depending on what’s exposed and the effects of it.

The common experience that we share greatly involves mass media, especially due to the advancement of technology. The catalog ranges from smartphones, laptops, tablets, smart-watches and voice-controlled devices. We’re granted so much access, that it makes it just as easy for us to connect through media. I believe that the trend of ‘relatability’ is the strongest link everyone has to media. For example, the use of memes and text posts on social media. There isn’t always context given to them which allows them to be used to freely and excessively. It helps illustrate topics (i.e: politics, news, entertainment), thoughts, and emotions that aren’t always easily expressed. My friends, family and I exchange memes all the time.

Another form of relatability is the life goals, luxuries, and expectations that are desired. There are debated societal standards placed, some are realistic and others are unrealistic. For example, the expectation of how the people of my generation are expected to be successful like how popular social media influencers are. Although it may encourage the creation of goals, it enforces the idea of those who don’t reach that standard to be viewed as less by society. I try not to allow myself to get lost in unrealistic expectations or be overwhelmed by the realistic ones. To prevent that, I go on a hiatus from social media for a while if I need to focus more on my priorities or better my mental health when it’s not the best.

The major use of media is spreading information. It really helped increase the activity of activists and movements. I feel grateful but cautious about the relationship that the media has with overall activism. I’m grateful because it has helped me become aware of certain issues that aren’t discussed enough and provided people a new platform to use for activism. For example, the #BlackLivesMatter movement sparked the conversation of the prevalent issue of police brutality, murders, and injustice towards African Americans. I’m also cautious because the media tends to alter narratives in favor of what seems to be trending or acceptable. For example, when news stations cover stories in politics, reporters are known to be heavily biased when discussing the political parties involved, praise one and slander the opposing. Despite how it can be altered and limited, there still are reliable and credible media sources available. I feel that it's the responsibility of media users including myself to not be quick to see everything as factual and expand their research. Everything is not what it's portrayed to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment